GIS Analyst II
Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, Little Rock, AR, January 2014-Present
Primary responsibility is supporting the work of the GIS and Mapping Section of the Transportation Planning and Policy Division with cartographic products and spatial analysis.
- Gaining proficiency in mapping and spatial analysis of the state highway system.
- Working on IDrive Arkansas, a web map product that provides information to the public about the state highway system with the potential for impacting travelers.
- Developing methodologies for converting spatial data from legacy data formats such as CAD and SQL to ArcGIS geodatabase format.
- Using Python scripting and ArcGIS Model Builder to automate many repetitive cartographic and spatial analysis tasks.
- Developing ArcGIS Online applications for internal departmental use in managing workflows and highway system assets.
- Creating presentation quality cartographic products for both internal departmental use and use in various public settings.
North Little Rock Planning Department, North Little Rock, AR, October 2012-January 2014
Primary responsibility was supporting the work of the city planning department by creating maps and performing spatial analyses. Tasked with managing the department's spatial data, including working closely with PAgis, the county's spatial-data clearinghouse.
- Mapping hundreds of cases that have come before the city's planning commission and its subcommissions.
- Assisting in the implementation of ArcGIS for Server and the creation of central geodatabases.
- Updated many of the department's general-information maps that are distributed to the public.
Arkansas National Guard, North Little Rock, AR, November 2011-October 2012
Primary responsibility was supporting the GIS efforts of the environmental and facilities divisions of Camp Joseph T. Robinson. Used ArcGIS software daily to analyze geographic data and create cartographic products.
- Digitizing and creating a geodatabase of the physical assets of National Guard Armories around Arkansas using architectural drawings and aerial photography.
- Assisting in the creation of a statewide map book for use by emergency responders.
- Using a mapping grade GPS unit to map various facilities on Camp Robinson, including fire hydrants, generators and property boundaries.
- Mapping the water delivery system on Camp Robinson using architectural drawings and direct spatial data collection.
- Georeferencing historical maps of a National Guard post.
Other Career Experience:
Web Content Manager
The Morning News, Springdale AR, August 2008-November 2008
Responsible for the day-to-day management of the content of the newspaper's Web site. Duties
included developing policy and workflow for presenting news stories, photography and
multimedia. I used a content management system and performed HTML coding to manage and edit news content. I developed and
implemented a training program for reporters on creating audio stories.
Enterprise Reporting Coordinator
The Morning News, Springdale AR, August 2006-August 2008
Responsible for coordinating the reporting, writing, editing and presentation of
nondeadline stories that explored in-depth issues in Northwest Arkansas. Duties included
generating ideas for stories, source development and coaching writers. I also
wrote in-depth feature and news articles and occasionally updated Web site.
The Morning News, Rogers AR, July 2004-August 2006
Covered public safety in Benton County. Duties included finding, developing and writing
Conway Log Cabin Democrat, Conway AR, April 2000-May 2004
Responsible for the day-to-day supervision and presentation of news coverage for an 11,500
circulation, seven-day morning newspaper. Duties included supervision of a 12-person news
staff, including assigning stories, editing copy and coaching writers and writing
editorials. I also worked with the managing editor to coordinate the long-term direction of
The Benton Courier, Benton AR, March 1999-April 2000
Responsible for the supervision, direction and presentation of news coverage of an 8,500
circulation, seven-day morning newspaper. Duties included the supervision of a 10-person
editorial staff, including assigning stories; editing copy; layout and design of news,
editorial and feature pages; writing a daily editorial; and coaching writers. Also very
involved in the prepress production of the newspaper. Also responsible for updating
newspaper's Web site every day.
Malvern Daily Record, Malvern AR, June 1997 - March 1999
Responsible for the supervision and direction of news coverage of a 5,000 circulation daily
morning newspaper. Duties included the supervision of a five-person editorial staff,
including the assignment and copy editing of all news and feature copy and writing a daily
Conway Log Cabin Democrat, Conway AR, April 1997 - June 1997
General assignment reporter. Primary beat was city government. Also filled in as police and
courts reporter and features writer.